Saturday, May 14, 2011

michael kiwanuka

I can always tell i like an artist when I have questions.
Michael Kiwanuka struck me in a way that left me with thousands of questions.

Where is he from?
Who brought him up? His parents? Extended family?
Who would HE say are his biggest influences (since many who talk about him seem to name so many)?
When will he get over here to the U.S.?

What I know...
He's an artist based in London who is currently touring in the UK (with one date in Paris) with a three song EP available now - Tell Me a Tale (The Isle of Wight Sessions). His folksy/bluesy/jazzy mash up is pleasant down to my bones - like watching sunlight cast rainbow reflections onto my hard wood floor through a glass wind chime my window. It's uplifting - i'm buoyed by the powerful rawness of his voice.

Using a super 8 to get that awesome grainy retro look - "just how i like it" says Kiwanuka - the below video is footage from Kiwanuka's tour in Berlin with the title track to the new EP "Tell Me a Tale."

No comments:

Post a Comment