Saturday, May 14, 2011

the ram enjoys some tea time

Our neighbors across the Atlantic totally fascinated me. They didn’t in the past - I admit it’s a relatively recent obsession. In fact, I formerly had an active disinterest in Paris and London - no reason, really...just because.

I think my attitude started to change somewhere between my friend at Carasoin Day Spa (total UK sentimentality, love this place) asking me if there was “bogroll” (toilet paper) in the bathroom and hearing James Blake for the first time.

Most recently I’ve become obsessed with a couple UK sitcoms: Sherlock - the searingly intense, edge-of-your-seat update to the Arthur Conan Doyle classics & Luther - the dramatic and emotional crime/detective story.

I’m not an expert in story depth or character development or boundary defiance on TV sitcoms so I can’t speak to their place in important TV programs being produced today. But I can speak to how impressed I am by the impeccable class and attention to detail in both shows. Ultimately, they keep me watching and get me excited for new episodes which, I would expect, is more than half the battle in the business of TV.

Examples of the “rad” factor...
Luther Trailer for the 2011 Season



At the end of the very first episode a song plays while Luther’s enemy prances away in a state of sociopathic bliss. I shazam-ed (love that that’s a verb these days) and it’s Emiliana Torrini’s “Gun” from Me and Armini. Nice choice I think...

Emiliana Torrini - Gun by rrr_marusya

No comments:

Post a Comment