Monday, June 27, 2011

beats, rhymes, & life



Earlier this month my friend Sierra asked me if I was interested in seeing “Beats, Rhymes, and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest,” at the LA Film Festival. I had heard lots of buzz around this movie from people returning from Sundance and was stoked to hear there would be a screening here in LA.

Here’s where I make a confession. Before Friday night, I knew maybe a handful of Tribe songs. I mean most everybody knows about wiping their feet on the rhythm rug...

A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It by Soundvibz

...But I definitely didn’t grow up as a fan nor could I have said I was truly aware of their influence on the Hip-Hop community. I was a little worried that I’d go to see the documentary and would be so out of the loop that I wouldn’t be able to adequately enjoy it. But I went anyway, hopeful that I’d be able to enjoy something about it even if I wasn’t familiar with all the content.

I’m happy to report after seeing the screening this past Friday evening that everybody - fans of Tribe especially, but also people new to Tribe, even people who don’t have any real interest in Tribe - should see this documentary.

The movie profiles all the members from childhood, to their rise to fame, to the challenges of becoming an international sensation, to the present day goings on of their lives with a hopeful tease for the future. It does what all great documentaries of this kind do, making each member of Tribe utterly human - with all the emotions, sensitivities, and occasional attacks of the ego that humans have. And even better, I totally fell in love with something about every one of them: Q-Tip’s deep need to create, Phife’s spark, Ali’s sweet, easy peaceful nature, and Jarobi’s loyalty.

From a filmmaking perspective, I couldn’t have asked for more. Actor Michael Rapaport (who is apparently the son of a radio program manager) makes his full length directorial debut with a bang, earning the 2011 LA Film Festival’s Audience Award for Best Documentary Feature. 944 Magazine profiled Mike in their latest issue who told them he’s been talking about making this movie for ten years as he’s been a life-long fan. With music supervision by Peanut Butter Wolf and appearances from Pharrell, Common, Questlove, Mos Def, The Beastie Boys and tons of other influential musicians it’s hard not to recognize the film as remarkably pedigreed.

So what did I do when I got home? I bought Low End Theory & Midnight Marauders - and all I have to say is “yo”...



I’m serious - if this comes through your city, make the time to see it. You will totally regret it if you don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment