Thursday, June 23, 2011

hooray for EJL and Earth


At this point it’s a little embarrassing the number of times I’m writing about albums Eric J. Lawrence has handed me. The reality is that Eric has become a great friend and musical inspiration to me as I continue my journey through understanding my feelings about what I like (and dislike) about music. He is truly an honorary co-curator of the thoughts I share here.

So thanks, EJL. :)






With that out of the way I can tell you about the latest album EJL handed to me - Hooray for Earth’s True Loves.

Hooray For Earth - True Loves from Dovecote Records on Vimeo.



Eric and I agreed that it took us two or three spins before we fully decided upon liking this album. This is something unusual for EJL as he gets hundreds upon hundred of music submissions for the music library at KCRW. He’s trained to give something a listen and quickly formulate an opinion. But something about this album kept bringing him back, which is exactly what happened with me.

I listened to True Loves in my car from beginning to end three or four times without having a strong opinion about it. The last song was one of the first ones to really grab my attention.

Hooray For Earth- Black Trees by esophus

Then slowly it was like the album took shape in front of me when I listened to it again. It’s truly one of the most awesome experiences I’ve had with music as I tend to stay in Eric’s camp most of the time - quick to like or dismiss something.

I highly recommend getting your hands on this album and giving it a listen like people used to do in the days of 45’s - beginning to end, not skipping through. There’s a story here for sure - I’m not sure I 100% understand it but when it grabs you it’s definitely music magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment