Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Mad Scientists My Morning Jacket


Picture By Jeremiah Garcia from KCRW's Music Blog

Last week in KCRW's music library these words came out of my mouth...
“Sometimes it just feels so good to oh-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa!”

I was talking about My Morning Jacket’s “Holding On To Black Metal,” which has been a staple on Morning Becomes Eclectic at KCRW in preparation for their exclusive performance for KCRW members (tickets sold out in just hours during the members only pre-sale which meant the house was packed with people who dig in their pockets and give money to the station - just. too. cool.) last night.



In preparation for tickets going on sale, there was a lot of talk around the station about My Morning Jacket being well known as one of the best live bands of the past several years. Period. I can’t speak to the origin of this sentiment but I can now attest to the quality of My Morning Jacket in live performance.

Before I can accurately capture why My Morning Jacket is so awesome in performance though, I feel I have to start by talking abut their fans. I don’t know if it’s the music or the band members or the alchemic combination of both that inspires the kind of following My Morning Jacket has but their fans were giving all they had as great audience members! People had their hands up in the air, they were dancing, shouting along, head banging - I got to sneak away to a room upstairs and get a birds eye view of the crowd and it was goose bump inspiring to say the very least.

I’m resisting the urge to look up information about Jim James and the other band members because something tells me I won’t find answers there. Their performance was captivating. The lighting and effects were trippy and interesting. The sound was crystal clear. The band rocked out and made the intimate space feel simultaneously like a garage session for a group of friends and a rock arena.

I’m not sure what else to say except that I don’t think anybody could ever go to a My Morning Jacket show and be disappointed. These guys are like the mad scientists who have figured out the elements that go into a rocking live show and they show up and bring their special sauce for people wherever they go.

With that - I leave you with one of my favorite songs from the evening. People got their jam on to this song and it was amazing to see.

Outta My System by My MORNING JACKET

P.S.
KCRW had the event at a truly remarkable recording studio with an amazing CEO and an equally amazing team - check out The Village Recording Studios. Oh yeah and MMJ's production team and the production gals at KCRW... we did it!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment